Preparing For The Future
From high school students through practicing clinicians, Partners Personalized Medicine is preparing future leaders in personalized medicine. In a field that is developing by exponential leaps and bounds, we recognize that education and training are the key to ensuring that scientific knowledge is translated into practical, clinical use to benefit us all. Our educational aims are to:
- Increase awareness of genetics and its importance in understanding health and disease
- Increase the number of future genetics professionals
Provide researchers and health care providers with the knowledge and skills they need to incorporate genetics into everyday practice
Learn From Leaders
We offer educational programs and awards that target multiple constituencies, including students, post-doctoral residents and fellows, as well as practicing health care professionals. These programs include:
- Personalized Medicine Conference: The Personalized Medicine Conference is an annual two-day event, co-hosted and presented by Partners Personalized Medicine, Harvard Business School, and Harvard Medical School. Widely considered a premier event in the field, this conference attracts more than 600 national and international thought leaders across multiple disciplines as speakers, panelists, and attendees.
- Harvard Medical School Genetics Training Program: The Harvard Medical School (HMS) Genetics Training Program is one of the oldest and largest programs in the country. The program has trained scientists and clinicians who have become leaders in academic genetics and has supported investigators, who have made major contributions to the clinical practice of genetics and genetics research.
- William K. Bowes Jr. Award in Medical Genetics: This annual award recognizes and honors an outstanding physician or scientist who is completing or recently has completed training in the area of medical genetics or a combined training program with medical genetics. This national award provides visibility to the importance of genetics in the future of health care.
- Internships for College Students: Partners Personalized Medicine offers college students, who are serious about training in a research laboratory, the opportunity to work it’s laboratories. Through summer internships, students gain valuable experience in a real-world environment, preparing them for future work.
- Internships for High School Students: Rising high school seniors can apply for six weeks of hands-on experience at Partners Personalized Medicine’s cutting-edge research and clinical testing facilities.
- Tours for High School Science Classes: Partners Personalized Medicine offers tours of its laboratory facilities to high school science classes throughout the year. The tours offer students the chance to explore their interest in the sciences.
Partners Personalized Medicine is committed to educational activities as part of its mission to advance personalized genetic medicine.